Volunteer to help keep GCCCD safe! Email District.Parking@gcccd.edu for more information.
As part of the effort to support department & building level emergency planning, GCCCD Public Safety oversees the campus Building Marshal Program. In coordination with department deans, chairs and managers, Building Marshals are recruited to assist with evacuation in the event of an emergency. Building Marshals are needed in every floor of every building on campus. In the event of an evacuation, Building Marshals will be wearing bright yellow vests and whistles and will be able to guide staff, students, faculty, and visitors to the nearest emergency exit and to the buildings Emergency Evacuation Points. Building Marshals must be willing to assume the required duties and be willing to participate in training to acquire the necessary skills and to keep these skills current.
Building Marshal training consists of two components:
- General, basic Building Marshal training that covers GCCCD Emergency Procedures, Incident Command Structure, GCCCD General Evacuation Procedures, and equipment distribution. These training sessions are offered at least once per semester and facilitated by the Emergency Preparedness Team.
- The second component is a Building specific training organized by the Principal Building Marshal in coordination with the Emergency Preparedness Team Member of their choice. These training sessions cover the specifics of the building evacuation routes, exits, assembly points and the specific areas of responsibility for each Building Marshal. These trainings are also a great opportunity to meet and get to know other building marshals in your building. These sessions are scheduled as needed although they should be held at least once annually. Please contact your Principal Building Marshal or Nicole Conklin, Director of CAPS for more information.
- Following a major earthquake or other disaster that damages campus buildings the Building Marshals will assist in the orderly evacuation of campus buildings to areas of safety.
- When prompted by an alarm or at the request of Public Safety, the Building Marshals will assist in the orderly evacuation of the building population.
- When the building is evacuated, Building Marshals secure building entrances, direct personnel 100 feet from the building, and deny re-entry until informed by emergency personnel that it is safe to do so.
- Building Marshals report injuries and probable locations of trapped individuals to emergency personnel.
- If necessary, Building Marshals assist in the movement of persons to indicated campus evacuation staging area(s) or shelter(s).
You may find a listing of your trained Building Marshals here.
If you are interested in becoming a Building Marshal, the first step is to take our general, basic Building Marshal training. Please email District.Parking@gcccd.edu for more information and to sign up!