STEP 3: EQUIPMENT AND SKILLS
GET THE RIGHT TOOLS
All online courses require access to the Internet. Students must have their own Internet Service Provider, or may access the courses at the college. Please refer to the Class Schedule for additional requirements of individual instructors.
- Access to a fairly new computer
- Reliable access to the Internet using an Internet Service Provider or through the College's Tech Mall
- Compatible Internet Explorer or Firefox browser
- Word processing software such as Microsoft Word
- An Email account
- Course-specific software
We use release 9.1 of Blackboard Learn. Click here to see Blackboard supported browsers and operating systems.
Students who do not have a home computer, are experiencing difficulties, or for convenience can access online courses in the campus open computer lab.
Cuyamaca College Open Computer Lab
Grossmont College Open Computer Lab
GET THE RIGHT SKILLS
Students must have the following basic computer skills before taking an online course:
- using a web browser
- sending and receiving email
- using a word processing program, including ability to Cut, Copy, and Paste
- sending attachments via email (in Word or other formats)
- downloading software and/or documents
NOT QUITE READY FOR DISTANCE LEARNING? HELPFUL COLLEGE COURSE OFFERINGS:
Business Office Technology:
To enroll in courses that teach introductory computing skills.
Research Methods in an Online World:
Designed for the student who would like to become an effective online researcher.
COUN - Counseling Classes:
Classes taught by counselors at both Cuyamaca and Grossmont colleges help students succeed in college and life.
Course offerings include Career Decision Making, College and Career Success, Study Skills and Time Management and more.