HOW CANVAS WORKS WITH SELF SERVICE
How and when semester containers are created
Semester containers are automatically created a few months before the semester starts.
- Fall semester: 1st week in July
- Spring Semester: 1st week in December
- Summer Semester: 1st week in May
How instructors and students are enrolled in containers
Instructors and students are automatically enrolled in Canvas containers once the term has been populated in Canvas. (See dates above.)
Imports happen every three hours at approximately 3:30, 6:30, 9:30, etc.
- Your login is the same name as in Self Service with your PIN
- Instructors of Record are added on the next import after Instructional Operations has entered them into the Colleague system.
- Students are added on the next import after they have registered for a course. This
also applies to "waitlisted" students.
- Please note: It will take two imports to complete the process for a brand new student. On the first import the system will create their Canvas account. On the second import it will add the student to the course. This means it can take up to six hours after registration has been completed.
- Dropped Course - Students will be removed from a course they dropped on the next import after they drop the course.
Updating personal information in Canvas
The email address displayed in Canvas comes from Self Service. Please update your information in Self Service and it will update Canvas on the next import.
Change Canvas Display Name
Please submit the Change Canvas Display Name form. This will change how your name appears in Discussions, Announcements and Conversations in Canvas, but it will not change the display of your name on the People page or Grades. Self-Service and Canvas username will stay the same.
To change your official name students should contact Admissions & Records and employees should contact Human Resources.