Economic Impact Report
A 2023 economic impact report found that the Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District had a $1.3 billion economic impact on San Diego County, enough to support almost 13,500 jobs.
The district's economic impact is the equivalent of hosting the World Series 193 times in San Diego, the study found.
The study by Lightcast, a leading provider of economic impact and labor market data, also concluded that Grossmont and Cuyamaca colleges are a great investment for students, taxpayers and society. The results of the analysis were based on data from the 2021-2022 academic year.
The study found that:
- The economic impact of alumni spending was $983.6 million, the equivalent of 9,774 jobs.
- The economic impact of district spending for operations was $190.88 million, the equivalent of 2,707 jobs.
- The economic impact of student spending was $50.7 million, the equivalent of 701 jobs, for bringing in students from outside the county and retaining students who would otherwise have left the county.
- The economic impact of construction spending was $26.2 million, the equivalent of 296 jobs.
- For every dollar that students spend on their education, they will receive a return of $7 in higher future earnings.
- For every dollar spent by society, $8.40 was gained in social sector savings.