"Great ShakeOut earthquake drills help people in
homes, schools, and organizations improve
preparedness and practice how to be safe during
Millions of people worldwide practice how to Drop, Cover, and Hold On during the Great ShakeOut Earthquake Drill which is held on the third Thursday in October every year.
Visit the Great Shakeout website to get additional resources and information on drills across the globe.
Earthquake Early Warning App - Even seconds of warning can be invaluable giving people enough time to Drop, Cover, and Hold On ahead of an earthquake - ultimately decreasing injury through this early warning notification. Consider downloading it to your mobile phone today.
In the San Diego area, we live with the threat of earthquakes every day. While we can’t prevent an earthquake from occurring, there are simple measures we can take to minimize the effects of an earthquake.
Click on an image to enlarge
- Prepare an emergency kit with at least a 72-hours supply of food and water, along with other supplies including a flashlight, portable battery-operated radio, batteries, medicines, first aid kit, money, and clothing.
- Plan to be safe by creating a disaster plan and deciding how you will communicate in an emergency.
- Organize disaster supplies in convenient locations.
- Know the safe spots in each room – under sturdy tables, desks, or against interior walls.
- Know at least two exit routes from your neighborhood, or any building you are in, in case of emergency.
- Know the danger spots – near windows, mirrors, hanging objects, fireplaces and tall, unsecured furniture.
- Decide how and where your family will reunite if separated during an earthquake.
- Learn first aid and CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation).
- Secure your space by identifying and fixing hazards, indoors as well as any weaknesses in the building, and securing moveable items.
- Minimize financial hardship by organizing important documents, strengthening your property, and considering insurance.
- GCCCD Earthquake Preparedness (Scroll down on the page and click on Earthquake)
- Earthquake Country Alliance - Safer at Home Webinar Series
- Ready.gov - Earthquake Preparedness
- Ready San Diego
- San Diego County
- Seven Steps to Earthquake Safety
- Staying Safe Where the Earth Shakes
- Disaster Supply List